Schools have a duty to ensure that the supply agencies that they use carry out the same safeguarding checks on supply staff as the school is required to carry out on its own staff.
Keeping Children Safe in Education (2014) is statutory guidance issued by the Department for Education. The guidance states that schools and colleges must ensure that they obtain written confirmation from supply agencies and third parties that the same checks have been carried out for staff that they supply to schools as the school would carry out on its own staff.
edu operate a stringent vetting procedure for all candidates we place in schools regardless of the position, these include:
- Verification of a candidate’s identity – from current photographic ID and proof of address.
- Obtain a certificate for an enhanced DBS check with a barred list check where the person will be engaging in regulated activity;
- Obtain a separate barred list check if an individual will start work in regulated activity before the DBS certificate is available – Only with the express consent of the school;
- Ensure that a potential candidate is not on a prohibited list;
- Verify the person’s right to work in the UK;
- If the person has lived or worked outside the UK, we undertake further checks;
- Verify professional qualification, as appropriate.
Further to this, all candidates are interviewed face-to-face and are fully referenced checked with a minimum of two professional references.
If you have any question relating to our safeguarding policy, please contact your dedicated consultant.